Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Who Do You Think You Are?


Each morning I enjoy the comic strip, Mallard Fillmore by Bruce Tinsley.

The past few days, Mr. Tinsley’s writing has addressed the 2010 census. I too was offended by the racial profiling on the 2010 census forms. I wondered why our government needs to know my color and race while admonishing us all that we must judge people – not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Let me state that I do agree with Dr. King’s statement, but this led to a dilemma.

Frankly, I was not sure which box to check. My skin is neither black nor white. I was not sure about familial Hispanic origins. I also had doubts about every other race listed on the census form. It was a quandary. As a fan of the NBC show – Who Do You Think You Are? – I wondered how to answer truthfully.

Desperate, I sought help from a very learned man, Noah Webster. Based on his assessment, I checked the ‘Other’ box and wrote in Native American.

No comments: